A Long Single

   

My favorite warbler, Black Throated Blue.

   If I were to use a baseball analogy to describe Spring Migration so far, I'd say we hit a solid single to the outfield. We have rounded first but know that for now second base is out of reach. For sure spring migration is here. There are warblers, Great Crested Flycatchers, vireos, and thrushes. They just do not seem to be in big numbers yet.  I think between last week and today, I saw 18-20 new species for the year. This sounds good, but I think there are a lot of "easy" birds I still haven't seen.

    No complaining. There were plenty of birds to see, I just had to work a little harder for them. Today I birded my little heart out for twelve hours. I did about eleven miles (then I rewarded myself with Chinese Food, it's all about balance). 

This Osprey landed almost over our heads at Asa Pond

    I started my morning at Mia in Newport and ended it at Tri-Pond Park in South Kingston. My companions for most of the day were Sue Palmer and Tim Metcalf. We also birded with Carlos Pedro and Louise Ruggeri for part of the morning. 

   Mia was pretty slow all things considering. The highlight for us were two male Rose Breasted Grosbeaks. There was also a Black Throated Green Warbler calling before we got there, but we did not see or hear it. I also saw a Hummingbird. 

   

Thanks Little Buddy (Black and White Warbler)


From there we hit two land trust properties in Jamestown. Highlights were American Kestrel and my favorite warbler, Black Throated Blue. We could also see 53 Glossy Ibis flying around the marsh near Weedon Lane.  We did see or hear the more common warblers including Parula, Blue Winged, and Black and White.

   After buying lunch we stopped at Great Swamp but only hiked a little bit. There were multiple Redstarts and a Black and White that wanted me to take its photo. My main focus were Northern Waterthrush and Yellow Throated Vireo both of which we dipped on. 

Probably the best bird of the day, Solitary Sandpiper

  We hit another land trust in South Kingston near URI that I do not remember the name of. By far the best bird was a Solitary Sandpiper. We should have reported it, because that is a very good bird. However, a dog/dog owner scared it off and it flew out of sight so there was no point. 

My last stop was Tri-Pond park in South Kingston. There were multiple Warbling Vireos. I saw some swallows, Chimney Swifts, and Yellow Warblers around the pond.

My day ended photographing this singing Warbling Vireo

   All in all, Today was fun. I saw many  species of migrating birds but I know it could be better. It's only going to take one or two nights with the right winds for everything to explode. Until then, I'm not complaining. It is still nice to see color in the trees.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, May goes by too quickly!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment